CREATE A CONSISTENT SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT
HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH: who can decide that? A question that plagues all parents, first timers more, as to whether they are bringing up their children the right way. Also the pre given fact that all parents want to become the best parents, no doubt on that.
A lot has been written about ‘Good and bad parenting’ but what I list here is post spending many years of being in contact with children across the spectrum. What I am talking here is about Smart parenting
Whatever your style of parenting may be, the bottom line is – you all want your children to be happy, healthy and successful. You all also know that one shoe doesn’t fit all
Here are my 5 golden tips
- Listen to YOUR child for :
- Each child is wired differently
- All seek acceptance and do not like to be compared
- All want to be valued as individuals.
Listening means that you value his/her views even though you may not agree with some/many/all of them. This alone give the child a sense of worth and he feels comfortable airing his thoughts and views without the fear of admonishment. Remember- Do not preach.
- Give positive reinforcements
- Tell them that their opinions matter
- Praise / award them for their views and thoughts
Positive stimulus will result into positive response
- Encourage healthy discussions
- Hear them speak with an open mind
- It’s OK to change your perception/decision.
- Respect the views of others
Discussions allow for opening of the mind to other ideas and the fact that there could be other perceptions that you had not thought about.
- Agree to Disagree
- Set guidelines like a ‘time out’
- Create an environment of constructive discussion.
- Encourage brainstorming.
- Indicate that you may not always be correct
Two entirely different thoughts may be having some value. Constructive feedback does wonders and helps the mind to evolve to another level. Thinking skills get honed along with listening skills
- First deserve then desire
- Get them to struggle
- Create an unpredictable environment
- Nothing comes easy in life
They need to understand the fact that much as you love them, you will ensure contribution. Unless effort has been put in the right measure the end result would vary, and that
- It’s alright to fail
- Not every situation will emerge to your satisfaction
- Accept failure, identify mistakes and move on.
- There is great learning in failure.
Adversity is a stepping stone to greater success. It is the difficult times that bring out the best. A human beings’ basic instinct is to survive. Pick up success stories from real life experiences, yours and of other known people. Hope you all enjoy reading and connecting with it.
Would be happy to answer questions from my readers.